Firstly, Robin Hood. Now, from what I've gathered the only evidence behind this Nottingham legend is mostly consistent of medieval chronicler's and poet's writings. So what? Well, the problem with medieval chroniclers is that most of them were famed for exaggerating events and people and for generally being inaccurate and making up wild stories about heroes and villains. Robin Hood is no exception. Although their is evidence for the existence of various people called Robert or Robin and many of them falling foul of the law their is still very little evidence for most of the legend. The earliest references come from poems and ballads and it is theorised that most of the legend may have been based on earlier folklore and legends (Such as Hereward the Wake for example). So, although I appreciate the culture and benefit to society that such legends bring, I still support the idea that most of the legend was most likely made up by a drunken medieval monk who needed something to do in-between drinking copious amounts of monkish ale.
That's all for this post, I try to keep my posts shortish unless I have some very good points to make and that's really all I can say about Robin Hood, I mean if you want a full investigation go on Wikipedia, I'm just writing for entertainment and because the new Robin Hood film has just came out. Now go and enjoy the £50,000,000 that the new Robin Hood film will generate for Nottingham, that is, if you live in Nottingham...
No comments:
Post a Comment